Friday, January 13, 2012

Thursday, January 12

Some friends and I took a road trip to Bentonville, Arkansas, today to have lunch and visit the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.  All I can say is WOW!  What an incredible place to visit.  We're already planning a trip back in the spring when the dogwoods are in bloom so we'll be able to enjoy the numerous trails on the museum grounds.  This is a must-see place, folks.  You definitely need to put a visit to this museum on your bucket list.  Here's just a smidgen of what we saw:  

IMG_9489
We saw this guy.  2:25 p.m.
IMG_9484
Here's an up close shot.  Wasn't he patient to allow me to get so close?  2:27 p.m.
IMG_9480
Creepy!  This is entitled "Old Self, Portrait of the Artist as He Will (Not) Be. Variation #2 2010"  by Evan Penny, made of silicone, pigment, hair, fabric and aluminum.  2:35 p.m.


IMG_9544
A small section of "Hall of the Mountain King" by Marsden Hartley.  To really view this painting, you have to stand way back.  I can't figure out how he was able to paint it and make sense of his strokes unless he has very, very long arms.  3:32 p.m.


IMG_9547
Probably my favorite sculpture of those we saw today.  Her gracefulness really captured me.  3:33 p.m.


IMG_9560
I love this little guy's smirkey smile.  It's an oil on canvas by William Holbrook Beard and is entitled "School Rules."  The chimp is holding a copy of Darwin's Descent of Man.  3:43 p.m.


IMG_9597
 A welcome resting place, that gives a glimpse of the architecture.  4:20 p.m.


IMG_9606
"Standing Explosion (Red)" by Roy Lichtenstein, with Andy Warhol's "Dolly Parton" in the background.  4:24 p.m.


IMG_9608
This is entitled "Big Red Lens" by Frederick Eversley.  It sits in a hallway with a bench directly opposite it and just invites you to sit and look through it.  4:26 p.m.


IMG_9625
After visiting most of the galleries, we stopped into Eleven for an afternoon snack and drink.  This cupcake was heavenly; rich chocolate with a coffee buttercream frosting.  Yum.  The Raspberry Fizzy was pretty good, too.  4:47 p.m.


IMG_9631
The sun started down and brought beautiful skies.  I liked the reflections of the beams against the pink sky.  5:24 p.m.


IMG_9633
In the restaurant.  5:25 p.m.


IMG_9635
Bonus shot of some really neat light fixtures in the museum gift shop.  5:48 p.m.


I wanted to pull a Ticklebear and post about 50 pictures this month, but I resisted.  There are so many wonderful things to see at Crystal Bridges.  Don't take my word, though; go see for yourself!






7 comments:

Mary Ellis said...

Hmmmm. I narrowed mine down to 24. But that's ok since I didn't post last month, right? I'm sure TickleBear would agree! :)

This was a really fun month, and you got some great pictures. (Loved your presentation of the "creepy" bust!)

seifenmacherin said...

All I can say is WOWWWW.
Because of this exhipition and because of your wunderful pics.

Love them all!

Ursl, who didn´t post this month!

TICKLEBEAR said...

Splendid architecture, and I loved the chimp and the red lens most. One begs for a reflection, and the other one is just an interesting alteration of our perception of the world.

thanx 4 sharing!!
:)~
HUGZ

janderson said...

It will be added to my bucket list. Thanks for opening my eyes. Janice

corky said...

You did a great job kiddo. I really liked the close-up photo of the cup cake. Made me hungry.

alec said...

Thanks again

Peggy Estes said...

great work Sunny! Love the one with the red lens!