Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday, November 12

My shooting buddy Mary and I had a great day.  We met at my house for a quick breakfast and then got on the road to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where one of my  granddaughters was competing in the River Valley Feis, an Irish dance competition.  We cheered her on and then headed off to see other things.  Here's a bit of what I saw.


IMG_8569
Kudos to the town of Fort Smith for not rushing Christmas - 10:06 a.m.


IMG_8604
An ancient instrument maker playing a gourd banjo at the feis - 11:04 A.M.


IMG_8614
A section of a painting in the foyer of the Fort Smith
Convention Center caught my eye -  11:22 a.m.


IMG_8645
Little girls, big dreams - 11:41 a.m.


IMG_8646
A ghillie, or Irish Dance soft shoe, on my sweet granddaughter's foot - 11:43 a.m.


IMG_8746
I'm probably the only one old enough to remember - 3:18 p.m.


IMG_8763
On a fence at the Fourteen Flags Museum in Sallisaw, Oklahoma. The Howdy Doody sign was there, too - 3:26 p.m.


IMG_8773
Signs of fall - 3:50 p.m.


IMG_8775
Love, love, love the spring and picnic area at Sequoyah's Cabin near Sallisaw, Oklahoma - 3:51 p.m.


IMG_8778
Sequoyah, who was illiterate, is known for creating a syllabary for the Cherokee language. 3:53 p.m.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoyah] 

IMG_8811
On the way to Sequoyah's Cabin, we passed a cemetery with gorgeous trees.  After visiting the cabin, we headed back to the Akins Cemetery, which Mary's husband told us was the burial place of a famous US outlaw - 4:39 p.m.


IMG_8833
Though hard to read, this is the gravestone for Charley Arthur Floyd, a/k/a Pretty Boy Floyd [1904-1934], an infamous bank robber and alleged killer in the early 1900's.  Some local visitors to the cemetery told us that this is the third headstone to be set, as souvenir hunters chip away at them until they're unrecognizable.  If you look carefully between the vase and the stone, you'll see a bullet that some fan has left on the grave site.  5:13 p.m.

Bonus:
IMG_8834
Our friendly cemetery visitors also told us a story about Pretty Boy Floyd's younger brother, E. W. Floyd [1908-1970], who wanted to go rob banks with his big brother.  Pretty Boy evidently told his little brother to stay home, which he did.  He later became sheriff of Sequoyah County, Oklahoma, and served until his death in 1970.

That's it.  It was a great day, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.  See you next month.







10 comments:

Rainey Vivier said...

Beautiful photos, as always. Oh yes! I do remember Howdy Dowdy and the TV show. Once a week I watched Buffalo Bob, Princess SummerFallWinterSpring, and Clarabell the Clown. Ah, the innocence was so easy. Does your granddaughter do Irish dancing? Thanks Sunny!

TJ said...

Great 12 of 12 pictures. I love all the pictures of the fall colours. I miss that living where I do and everything is upside down and backwards. I grew up where autumn was in Oct. an Nov, now my autumn is in March and April. Oh well such is life. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

TICKLEBEAR said...

While your fall pictures are striking, my favorite is the gourd banjo. The photo treatment, the topic, eetc makes for a great pic.

thanx 4 sharing!!
:)~
HUGZ

Sunny Archibald said...

TJ: The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it? I'd love to be having spring right now. :-). As always, thank you for looking and commenting.

Sunny Archibald said...

Thanks, Rainey. It's always nice "talking" with you. My granddaughter is the dark headed child and, yes, she does Irish dance. Your new grand baby is getting prettier by the day. I loved the picture of her with her great grandmother. Priceless.

Sunny Archibald said...

Ticklebear: Thank you. That was one of my favorite shots, too, and it just had to have some old style processing.

Peggy Estes said...

love your 12 this month! beautiful fall colors.

alec said...

Late looking but beautiful to see. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you. We will be in Sarasota.

Maplelime said...

Love those photo's of the fall foliage! Weird weather this year has meant that we probably only had a week of reds and orange before it all fell off!

Lucrecia Bloggia said...

Your pictures are simply beautiful!!
They are so vivid!

I enjoyed the banjo player and of course, the ones with fall folliage!

Thanks for sharing! ;¬)