Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday, June 12

My intention for today was to take you along on a trip to a polo match. It was to be a new experience for me. Rain early this morning muddied the field, and the match was canceled. Maybe another time. Instead of a polo match, you're going to get a bit of this and a bit of that.

Photobucket
First, a trip to the backyard to check on the roses. I like the color of this bud; it's from a Peace Rose. 9:40 a.m.


Photobucket
Gardenia in a bed of roses.
I have a poor, pitiful gardenia bush that I keep in the house over the winter and put out in the yard in the spring. It needs to be re-potted, but that seems like an awfully messy chore to me. I cut it back this year in hopes that it might get a little bit healthier. Needless to say, I was very surprised when I saw the flower this morning. It's sitting on one flower from each of the rose bushes in my backyard. 10:21 a.m.


Photobucket
Lone pine cone near our subdivision pond. 11:44 a.m.


Photobucket
Dragonfly at the water's edge. 11:47 a.m.


Photobucket
Very interesting roots. They remind me of cypress knees, but I don't think they are. 11:52 a.m.


Photobucket
I took a nice, sharp picture of the leaves of the tree that produced
the roots above, but I liked the looks of this picture better. Something
about it reminds me of a watercolor. 11:56 a.m.


Photobucket
After lunch, I headed out to meet my shooting buddy Mary and take a tour of some local sustainable gardens. I watched train cars go by for about ten or fifteen minutes on the way. Some were quite nicely decorated. 2:08 p.m.


Photobucket
Cute little staged potting bench at the first garden. 2:48 p.m.


Photobucket
I thought this cabbage was pretty. 2:50 p.m.


Photobucket
A wood fired cob oven the homeowner had constructed. He said all
of the family's summertime cooking is done in this oven. I'm thinking
bread and pizza would be really good cooked in there. 3:07 p.m.


Photobucket
We headed off to another garden, where I saw this squash blossom.
I love the orangey-yellow against the lush green. 3:26 p.m.


Photobucket
Another staged bit of garden decor, but I like it. 3:28 p.m.

And that, my friends, is the end of this month's 12 of 12. It was time for a BIG Diet Coke from Quik Trip. For those of you who don't live near a Quik Trip, I'm so sorry.


See you next month.




9 comments:

corky said...

Sis I really did like the "This" but the "That" was so much better. You get a "you done good."

TICKLEBEAR said...

you speak of peace roses, but mine, back to when i had those where yellow with fushia at the brim... but they were a double hybrid.... are those the same???


trains? you too??? too funny!!!

and my heart goes for the dragonfly!!

great set, as usual!!
:)~
HUGZ

TJ said...

Lovely as ever, I like seeing the flowers especially since we are in the middle of winter. I also really like the potting bench

Mary Ellis said...

Hard to choose, but my favorite has to be the dragonfly! 24-105 on Macro?

Sunny Archibald said...

Mary - not macro. 24-105 cropped way in, because the dragonfly was on a plant that was actually in the water.

Jill said...

Lovely, as always, Sunny! My favorite is definitely the squash blossom - love it's twist - like ice cream! :)

The dragon-fly close up is amazing, too.

frl. wunderschoenbunt said...

i like the old shoes on the garden bench and great shot of the dragonfly.

thanks. for these nice 12 of12!

greetings from germany

alec said...

Very nice. JJ says hi.

bellacantare said...

Love the garden vignettes. You could frame the bike shot :-)