Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday, February 12

It was an absolutely gorgeous day in Oklahoma. My shooting buddy and I started out early and headed to McAlester, Oklahoma, to attend a cattle auction, where her husband planned to buy some cows and calves to start a small herd on their farm in Gerty, Oklahoma. Here's a glimpse into my day.

Photobucket
The stockyard where the auction was held and
where we had a really good barbecue sandwich
- 10:49 a.m.


Photobucket
Up close and personal - 11:08 a.m.


Photobucket
Are those not the cutest floppy ears? 11:16 a.m.


Photobucket
Buyers checking out cattle before the auction - 11:17 a.m.


Photobucket
The auction in progress - 12:24 p.m.


Photobucket
Grumpy butt, thought she had good reason. She and her baby
were separated for transport from the stockyard to the farm - 2:26 p.m.


Photobucket
Old, broken down cattle pen and old tree at the farm.
The new pens and chute are based on Temple Grandin's designs - 2:58 p.m.


Photobucket
Oil pump on the farm land - 3:40 p.m.


Photobucket
The four-wheeler I had so much fun driving - 3:48 p.m.


Photobucket
Old chicken coop or shack across the road from the farm.
I took the obligatory landscape shots of the shack
but liked the compositionof this one the best - 4:09 p.m.


Photobucket
Sweet little baby after it was reunited with its momma - 4:41 p.m.


Photobucket
Old railroad bridge we passed on the way home - 5:43 p.m.


That was my day. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. See you next month.

8 comments:

seifenmacherin said...

Great pictures, as always!
The floppy ears are really cute!

Thanks for sharing!

Ursl

TJ said...

Hmm, seems I posted two comments both for last months. I'm not sure what happened there??? Anyway, I too like these pictures as I did last month, and the month before that, and the month, oh well you get the picture. Picture get it you know picture=photo. I'm on a role today, and no I have not been drink, sadly I am like this all the time. Anyway, moving forward, all of the cow pictures are great. The close up is a bit strange but what the heck do I know. I also like the one with the buyers checking out the goods and I really like the old chicken coop, very nice indeed. So as usual thanks for sharing your day and I, as always, look forward to next months

bellacantare said...

Aww, love the "Up close and personal" shot. hehe
Gorgeous country-side shots of the shack and bridge. I love a good bridge shot.

alec said...

Did they have cows on Lincoln? great pictures.

TICKLEBEAR said...

love the broken pen and the old coop. quite a journey you had there. a friend of mine would love this, wel, you know her, LUCRECIA, as she loves bovines and paint them often enough.
thanx 4 sharing!!
:)~
HUGZ

Xander said...

Awesome pictures you got there...

Love the close up of the masticating cow and the old derrick, especially.

Been living in Canada three years now, and pic of north american wide open landscapes only further my opinion that I need a road trip this summer!

Jill said...

I LOVE COWS! The landscape scenes were wonderful, as always.

Dogeared said...

I think I prefer the portrait layout for the old coop - I know you haven't posted the landscape version, but I liked the portrait one a lot. And all the photos of the cows - the close up made me smile, heh. What an unusual and fun day out - that 4 wheeler looked a LOT of fun! :D

Sorry I’m a bit late commenting – here at last (and my own 12 posted too). Just a busy time!

Helen (Dogeared)