Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday, September 12

I woke up to rain this morning.....not what I wanted for a 12 of 12. After a 1:00 p.m. basketball game for my 9 year old granddaughter, Grace, the day brightened just in time for me to start my trip back to Broken Arrow from Oklahoma City along another section of Route 66. I hope you enjoy the ride.

IMG_8286
Crape Myrtle outside the gym - 2:11 p.m.


IMG_8288
The world's largest pop bottle at Pops on Route 66 in Arcadia, Oklahoma. There are
over 500 varieties of soda at Pops. 3:03 p.m.


Photobucket
The Round Barn at Arcadia, Oklahoma, was built in 1898 by W. H. Odor - 3:08 p.m.


Photobucket
Historical Marker indicating the East starting line of the 1889 land run in Oklahoma Territory - 3:17 p.m.

Land run (sometimes "land rush" ) usually refers to an historical event in which previously-restricted land of the United States was opened for homesteading on a first arrival basis. Some newly opened lands were sold first-come, sold by bid, or won by lottery, or by means other than a run. The settlers, no matter how they acquired occupancy, purchased the land from the United States Land Office. For former Indian lands, the Land Office distributed the funds to the various tribal entities according to previously negotiated terms. The Oklahoma Land Run of 1889 was the most prominent of the land runs.


Photobucket
Another round barn along Route 66 in Chandler, Oklahoma - 3:47 p.m.


Photobucket
St. Cloud Hotel building in Chandler - 3:48 p.m.


Photobucket
Native stone chapel built by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in 1939 at the Davenport Cemetery on Route 66 - 4:02 p.m.


Photobucket
Weeds and an orange bug on the side of the road - 4:16 p.m.


Photobucket
Strange seed pod on a weed - 4:17 p.m.


Photobucket
Old Davenport Fire Department fire truck for sale along the road in Stroud, Oklahoma - 4:25 p.m.


Photobucket
Old Bristow, Oklahoma, train station, which now houses the Bristow Chamber of Commerce - 4:45 p.m.


Photobucket
Benches outside Bristow train station - 4:48 p.m.


That's it for this month. I hope to see you next month.



13 comments:

TICKLEBEAR said...

as ever, a stunning selection. the benches caught my eye, as the stone chappel. manmade stuff usually do!! and what you captured from mother nature is humbling as far as ingeniosity goes. mother nature does it best, still!! great show!!
:)~
HUGZ

alec said...

very good! Thanks.

alec said...

very good! Thanks.

seifenmacherin said...

Thanks!
I Love the last one. The benches remind me of havin´a break:
Ursl

Elaine said...

Absolutely stunning, all of them.
Elaine

Lucrecia Bloggia said...

A fire truck for sale?!?
Well... I'm wondering how it'll look in my driveway!
Very nice pictures! I love the orange bug on the white flowers. Nature is full of surprises!

Thank's for sharing!
;¬)

Lipp said...

Great '12, really like the 2nd roundbarn but all are cool.

TJ said...

Great 12 of 12 as usual. i have to say my favourite is the giant soda bottle. It's just brilliant in both what it is and in your photo. I also love the last photo of the bench seats, just something about it's simplicity. Anyway, thanks as always for sharing and I look forward as always to next months photos.

Jill said...

I never know Oklahoma had such cool stuff... round barns and giant pop bottles.

As always, thanks for your wonderful photos.

Pete said...

Hi Sunny, you always see such amazing things on your travels I never know what's coming up each month. I especially love the huge pop bottle!!

Pete said...

Hi Sunny, you always find such amazing things to photograph on your travels each month I never know what's going to appear next :)

Great photos as ever this month, especially that giant pop bottle!

Dogeared said...

I can't drive, but I'm wishing I could have that fire truck ;-) And I've never seen round barns like that, so thanks for sharing those! Great little roadtrip home :-)

(sorry my comment is late!)

Martini Dan said...

What nice photos! The giant pop bottle looks like something out of WDW. The rest and just very nice and relaxing looking. Thanks and sorry I was so late.