Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday, April 12

What a gorgeous spring day. Instead of cleaning and digging holes, I met some friends at Panera Bread for a quick coffee and bagel and then headed out for an awesome adventure.

IMG_2347
Why I need to dig holes. 8:30 a.m.


IMG_2354
We went here, where we were met by Lori, who runs Safari's and lovingly takes care of dozens of rescued animals. Volunteers are always needed, I'm sure. 10:02 a.m.


IMG_2393
This Kookaburra had a mouse in its mouth. It would repeatedly whack the mouse on the perch. I left before it started eating. 10:59 a.m.


IMG_2402
Awwwwwww. A baby donkey. He's about a month old. 11:04 a.m.


IMG_2442
Peacock, up close and personal.....we were able to go into many of the enclosures. 11:22 a.m.


IMG_2449
I'm rather scared of geese, and this one kept making nasty noises at me. I learned from Lori to just walk toward the geese and they'll turn and go away. Yes!
11:24 a.m.



IMG_2457
Many of the buildings at Safari's were brought to Oklahoma from an Indian Reservation in Arkansas and are more than 150 years old. 11:27 a.m.


IMG_2473
I love the way the zebra's mane looks like color-coordinated tassels on a blanket.
11:38 a.m.



IMG_2553
I saw five dogs at Safari's, three of which were gorgeous Great Danes. All the dogs are rescue dogs. I think this one is Max, but don't quote me on it. 12:14 p.m.


IMG_2578
Say ahhhhhhh. 12:32 p.m.


IMG_2588
Thanks, Lori, for rescuing this magnificent creature. 12:42 p.m.


IMG_2624
I loved this purple door, but mostly I loved the hinges. 1:01 p.m.


IMG_2636
Bonus picture. I couldn't pass up the Wisteria. 1:07 p.m.


It was an incredible visit, and I had a really hard time weeding out pictures. We saw a mob of kangaroos, wolves, lions, tigers, leopards, wild cats, monkeys, lemurs, bears, chickens, roosters, dogs, ponies, donkeys, goats, pigs, llamas, the zebra, an alpaca, Chinese pheasants that were gorgeous, peacocks, rabbits and many, many more animals that now have a safe haven. Go to Safari's sometime. You won't regret it. Thanks, Lori, for so generously sharing your time with us today.







12 comments:

Peggy Estes said...

Sunny!! These are great!! Really enjoyed looking at them. loved the cats.

Martini Dan said...

Wow Sunny what great photos you have this month. You usually have really nice photos but this month is super cool. I love them all and I dig the layout, new since the last time I look (I think). Great job and thanks for sharing!

TICKLEBEAR said...

as usual, i love your pics, but especially the peacock's, and the wisteria!! great danes are my favorite dogs. i can't understand how someone could ever want to get rid of such a great animal.
see you next month!!
:)~
HUGZ

TJ said...

Excellent photos, I don't know which ones to say I like best. If I had to pick I would say I like: the donkey, the peacock, the goose, the old buildings, the tiger, the lion, the purple door and for a bonus the bonus purple flowers. See, I told you I liked the pictures. Anyway, thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing next moths pictures.

seifenmacherin said...

So beautiful. I love the wisteria specially. Thanks for sharing!
See you

Pete said...

Well Sunny I think we can safely say that you made the right decision going there rather than digging holes at home, getting up so close and personal to the animals has led to some truly breathtaking photos.

Even more stunning that usual, love the lion :)

Dogeared said...

Yep, visiting a mini zoo is definitely more interesting than digging holes - and how lucky to be able to get up close to so many of them! What a great day out, wish I could go!

Bec said...

Fantastic animal pictures! The goose is so cute!

corky said...

Great job, Sis....We had company this weekend and all day Monday. I'll be a bit late getting my pics posted.

Jill said...

Your set is my absolute favorite this month! That peacock! The Zebra! Te colors! I can't choose which I love most.

Enjoy the hole digging... it will be worth it, for sure.

diana said...

The wisteria reminds me of a Nancy Drew novel. I can't remember which one. I think it had the word wisteria in the title. Do you remember?

linoue said...

Sunny your photos are amazing. The subjects, the colors, everything perfect. Thank you for posting them. You made my day brighter.